The study program provides comprehensive knowledge about post trade functions related to financial instruments and market infrastructures, aiming at improving communication within organizations, understanding und managing risks and efficiently introduce new instruments and services. It qualifies the students for executive positions in their field.
The program is aimed at operations professionals in executive positions in middle and back office, accounting, internal and external audit, risk management/control, project management, change management and IT in banks, insurance companies, with outsourcing partners or providers of IT services.
- Knowledge and competences
- Know the organisation and infrastructure of the primary and secondary markets of financial instruments
- Understand the role, functioning and evaluation of financial instruments
- know the settlement steps resulting from transactions in financial instruments (settlement, clearing, settlement and reconciliation, cash and securities accounting and reporting
- know the most important capital transaction operations
- know securities lending, repo and collateral management operations
- Operational activities
- Identify operational risks and analyse their impact
- ensure the compliance of an operational process with regulations and ethics
- answer their interlocutors’ questions and help find solutions to operational problems
- Develop, correct and optimise risk and performance reports for clients, management and regulators
- Management activities
- Evaluate the efficiency of operational processes with the aim of increasing the productivity of operations, improving customer service and complying with the latest regulatory requirements
- Introduce operational “straight-through-processing” solutions while complying with regulatory requirements and minimising risks and costs
- Analyze issues related to internal control, IT, organization and management of projects, governance of operations and minimizing their impact on the environment
- Operational processes for financial instruments: Deepening
- Money market instruments
- Foreign exchange transactions (spot, forward, swap)
- Structured products
- Mutual and hedge funds
- Investment strategies
- Legal framework, taxation, subscription/redemption
- Custodian activities
- Compliance, risk management, controlling
- Management of Operations
- Project and cange management, risk management
- Infrastructure, systems and IT
- Management of operational risks
- Environmental Social Governance (ESG)
- The course is distance-learning format (start any time).
- The study material on the learning platform includes the complete syllabus and contains course documents, videos, a forum, past exams with solutions and exam simulation with test questions.
- Course material is in English, German and French
- Start is possible at any time
- Duration approximately 6 months
- The time necessary to complete the program is 300-400 hours,
depending on the students’ previous knowledge, corresponding
to around 16 hours per week.
- Exam after one semester
- 3 exams with open questions, open book
- One exam date per year (March)
- Programme in distance-learning format (approximately 1 semester): CHF 4’600
- Examination fees: CHF 1’600
- Students having paid the training expenses themselves are entitled to reclaim 50% of the costs from the Swiss Confederation(conditions see here). The examination cost of CHF 1’600 are not subject to the refund.
The training is conceived as in-service training and a minimum of professional experience in finance is required to obtain the diploma. The following applies at the time of the final examination:
- Apprenticeship/Swiss Matura: 5 years
- Degree of universityof sciences: 3 years
- University degree: 2 years
Admission with the Federal Diploma for technician in financial market operations or an equivalent Diploma.
After successful completion of the examination, both the Advanced Federal Diploma of Expert in Financial Market Operations FMO is awarded.